I'm underway on my Great American Aran Afghan (GAAA). The idea is to knit 20 12"x12" squares.
My first square was designed by Barbara McIntire. I used 5mm needles.
My next square was the Ginette Belanger square. Again I used 5mm needles.
I had previously knit a baby sweater using the trinity stitch (it was called bramble stitch in that pattern) and found it very tedious. It wasn't that bad on this square, possibly because the needles and yarn were so much bigger.
Then I knit the Julie H. Levy Square. It knit up very quickly. I'm very glad I learned Grumperina's technique for cabling without a cable needle. I used 5mm needles.
Yesterday I finished the Ann Strong square. I found the entwining of stocking stitch and moss stitch intriguing. I used 4.5mm needles.
I'm 20% done. Yay!
Now I'm working on the Carol Adams square using 5.0mm needles.
There are big discrepancies among the sizes of the finished squares, largely because they were designed by different people who knit to different tensions. I have decided to knit all the squares and then will align them vertically according to width and add garter stitch to make them align horizontally. If there are still major sizing issues, I'll re-knit the offending squares to fit.