Monday, 20 May 2013

A New Stitching Project

Over the last few days I've been able to assemble all the necessary items to commence the next big stitching project I'm undertaking - Spike the Malachite Kingfisher.
I purchased the pattern, assembled the 60-odd colours of DMC floss, I ordered the mohair Wisper floss and dropped into Hedgehog Stitchery to select the fabric. I wanted a 32 count evenweave but didn't like the translucence of the linen. The Jobelan looked too shiny and to me, 'synthetic' so the perfect choice was Lugana.The Wisper floss will be used with one ply of a colour for the fuzzy feathers on Spike's chest.

It took some excavating to find my Needle-ease scroll bars. I haven't done a big cross-stitching project in about 9 years. I located a few items in the process, too! The fabric is a bit wider than the widest bar I have so I just folded back the edges that wouldn't be stitched to attach it to the twill tape on the bars.

After only a couple of nights, (including my favourite Sunday night PBS viewing) this is what I have done so far. That's 16 stitches to the inch, folks.
I started in the centre and am working on the first section above and to the right of the centre axis. It's his throat and shoulder. The finished dimensions of the stitching will be about 14" x 19" - much larger than this species 5 1/2" size.

I am trying to do as much of one colour as I can at a time and am using a highlighter to delineate areas that I've completed on photocopies of the 9-section chart. It will take me a while to complete but I'm well on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment