Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Blocking to Fit

A couple of years ago I knit the Icelandic Star sweater from the Winter 2009 issue of Interweave Knits. It was a fairly quick knit considering there was a bit of purled colour work. I wore it that winter and possibly the next a few times but then it became a little snug (ahem) and it's been sitting on my sweater shelf, unused, since then.

Last night I decided to block it so it would be a bit larger so I could wear it. I also stretched it vertically a bit, too, as I like my sweaters to cover at least half of my behind.

I just used wires on the sides and the shoulders, keeping the ribbing at the bottom unstretched.
It's going to take a while to dry.

While I was at it, I blocked the 'And Then There Were Mitts' mitts. Red is a really hard colour to photograph properly - especially on a blue and acid green, but you get the idea.
Again, these were quite snug but I think the blocking will stretch them out enough to fit perfectly.

Donna and I spent a lovely day yesterday with our spinning friend, Jennifer, at her new condo in Cobourg. She served us a lovely lunch and we spent the rest of the visit chatting and exchanging spinning and knitting ideas and patterns. We have really missed her since she moved in September. Once she is officially retired at the end of the month, we hope to set up a regular get-together during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment