Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Modified GAAA Square

I completed another square. This time I took one from The Great American Aran Afghan (GAAA) pattern book.
I selected the interior of the Betty Salpekar square.
The construction of the bottoms of the curves was very interesting. it involved a lot of provisional cast ons of 3 stitches knitting a couple of rows of stocking stitch then grafting each end of the knitted tab. I got better at it as things moved along.
I was just having another look at the previous square and noticed a mistake. Do you see it? I'll give you a hint - it's a miscrossed cable. The braiding is supposed to be over, under, over, under.
This one should have been crossed the other way.
For over/under purists like myself, it is somewhat perplexing. However, I came by the mistake honestly. I just checked the pattern and the photo and it was written like that. Maybe the designer doesn't mind over, over, under, under but when I knit this again, I'm definitely going to cross that cable the way I think it should go.
I spent most of yesterday prepping Scooter's room/the guest room for painting. Almost every room in the house is a disaster area. Today I got the trim painted, masked, and one coat on the walls. I'll finish up tomorrow and start putting the room back together.

While I'm moving stuff around, I keep finding things to get rid of. We have SO much stuff and we really want to simplify things around here. I try to get rid of 10 things a day either to the donation bag, recycling, or garbage.

Last night I finished spinning and plying the carded fibre from the workshop I attended with the Kawartha Handweavers and Spinners last month.

Remember this stuff?
I chain-plied the singles to minimize the barberpoling. I got 62 yards out of the left skein and 100 yards out of the right one.
This one looks quite tweedy,
and quite a mix of colours from these batts.
 This one has more solid colour,
and was spun from these rolags.
My spinning peeps are already teasing me about what I should knit with them because, you see, I have lots and lots of handspun and hardly have knit with the stuff. I still look at each skein as one-of-a-kind and seem to be really averse to using it up.

Hence, one source of the aforementioned 'stuff'. This stuff won't be discarded though. Hopefully some special knitting or spinning project will intrigue me enough to use it.

And finally, this has been an exceptional year for the peonies in our garden. We have several varieties that bloom at different times. I have had a vase of then on my kitchen table for about 3 weeks now. And the tight buds I picked back then are starting to bloom now. As the blooms finish and start dropping their petals, I replace them with new ones from the garden. The scent is intoxicating.

No comments:

Post a Comment