Sunday, 21 June 2015


We have an old IKEA Poang chair that had a stain on the seat. I removed the cover the other day and threw it in the wash. The stain faded somewhat but not completely. A replacement cover was only going to be $35 plus tax plus gas to get me to our closest IKEA store. Then I thought, "I could just make a slip cover".

So off to Fabricland I went on this, the last weekend of their big sale with almost everything 50% off.

I spent an inordinate amount of time looking at fabric. I needed almost 2 metres and was prepared to pay up to $20/m x 50%. Then I found the clearance bin and the perfect fabric for something like this. It was only $7.00/m with 20% off. Booyah!  There wasn't a zipper long enough so I bought two with the idea to sew the openings facing each other.

I could have simply made a tube to slide the old chair cover in but with the zipper in the centre back, it made it much easier to stuff the old cover into the new cover. On the original cover, the headrest has a little pocket that goes over the back of the chair. Instead, I just made a little slipcover.

I'm REALLY pleased with how it came out.

I love the fabric and have enough left over to make a couple of throw pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment