Monday, 5 September 2016

Garden Stitchery and More Sewing

I have started the second garden sampler.
I'm running out of the dark green floss but will have to wait until tomorrow to pick some up as today's Labour Day.

I also tried one of the Fabric Pin Dishes. I wanted the black fabric to be on the exterior but the instructions had the batting stitched to the pink interior fabric. It didn't lie well that way.

It sat much better with the pink fabric that had the batting sewn to it on the outside.
That's the only real change I'd make in the pattern. Here, you can see the criss-cross stitching that attaches the batting to the fabric as well as the 'darts' halfway along each side. I use my heat-erasable pen all the time now to do the markings on the fabric. It's so handy!
It was a fun, quick, and easy project which could easily be adapted to any size. The instructions state that it could also be used as a little microwave potholder but emphasizes using cotton batting rather than polyester as polyester could melt with high heat.

The fabric was a couple of random fat quarters from my stash. I bought them a couple of years ago at WalMart. I was shocked to note how much they cost there now with our Canadian dollar so low.

I'm going to frog the 'Brickless' shawl that I've been knitting with my handspun and knit it with larger needles (4.5mm) for better drape.

No comments:

Post a Comment