Sunday, 13 August 2017

#12 and #15

#12 and #15 eclosed this afternoon. #13 and #14 are dark chrysalids and could emerge at any time.
I have 3 j-cats.

I think this one (#12) is a male. It's hard to get a good photo inside the castle. But I see a scent gland spot on the right hind wing.
This one was one of the two that attached themselves to the milkweed stem. I cut the stem on either side of the chrysalis and attached it to the ceiling of the castle with thread.
Just to the left of the centre j-cat is the darkened chrysalis of #13. There are about 31 more to go in there. I'll release them in a few hours after I know their wings are strong enough.
In the styrofoam cup at the bottom of this picture contains the pupa that I damaged attempting to relocate it to the castle. I tore the entire cremaster and silky threads off it. However, it has continued to develop and judging from the colour, should eclose in a day or so. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will not have any deformities. I tried to glue a hanger onto it so I could suspend it from the ceiling of the castle but the chrysalis is so slippery, I was unable to find a non-toxic adhesive that would stick to it. White glue and different types of sticky tape just slid off. I have tipped the container on its side, hoping that when it emerges, the butterfly will hang from the edge of it and the wings can unfurl and strengthen normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment