My second last pupa eclosed yesterday morning. I almost forgot to release her yesterday afternoon but I took the castle out onto the table on the deck, unzipped the opening and left it there for her to fly out.
A couple of hours later, I noted she hadn't flown away yet. It was getting cooler out so I put her on one of the zinnias in the sun.
The last pupa will eclose next week so Christine and her family will pupa-sit while Skip and I head off on our next adventure. They'll release the last one of the season - #74 - when it's ready to go.
It has been a very successful year with the monarchs. My initial goal was to release 20. Little did I know I'd find so many larvae and eggs! Next year, I plan to tag my butterflies and will need to make a mental note to order the tags in the middle of June. In the meantime, I have turned on at least 3 families to the joys of raising monarchs and hopefully will inspire others to pursue this easy and enjoyable summer past time.